Friday, May 7, 2010

Just Friends?

So I recently talked to my little brother about why he and his girlfriend broke up.  Of course, this was in a facebook message because that is the only way I can track that busy kid down!  Anyway, back to the story. 
When I asked why they broke up (because they were very tight not too long ago) he said they both thought that the relationship was too 'casual.'  They werejust really good friends.
Now I want you to know that I understand how you can really love someone but be 'just friends.'  However, I thought about my relationship with my One-and-Only and smiled because, well, we have a very casual, friendship-based relationship.  Sure there's more to it, but, well, my brother's reasons for breaking up with his girlfriend sounded awfully familiar to my reasons for staying with Mr. Right.
Fastforward to that night when I told Mr. Wonderful the sad news.  He paused ever-so-briefly before responding to the "casual friendship" bit as grounds for relationship severance with, "So, like us?!"
"Yep," I said, "like us."
Then our eyes met and, we burst out laughing.  I love my husband, and I love our relationship. 

7 comments:

  1. yep- i totally get it :) i suppose thats the difference between being 27 and 17! (or however old your brother is)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we said the same thing...age...and also some personality perhaps. (He's 19.) My good friend Stephanie and I were talking about "casual" the other day and how we expected different things a decade ago. We both feel really happy and secure in our relationships now, though. I think you'd agree. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel this way. Sometimes it is like - seriously - go play video games...I just need you to leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is funny to me, this post, after my post and your comment. I married a European, so by nature conversation can be a bit more formal than an American guy. But if I were to compare, you and J. Man have a super casual joking relationship that is not shared by many couples. You guys are perrrrrrrrrfect for each other and I love it. And no, you don't say disprespectful things about J. Man, you do tease and joke loads about him, but I do too, cuz you guys are jokesters and it make the relationship(s) fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your comment Alaina- haha so relevant to our life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments, ladies! Special thanks to La for following up on a conversation thread. I'm glad I was just misunderstanding your point. I reread the blog today. I'm dumb. Also, yeah, some women are sooooo mean about their husbands, and I cannot get into husband bashing. If you can't find any things that are nice, or if you're willing to open up to a stranger about the bad stuff in your relationship, that's going way too far. (Um, also you should be talking about it with your husband who you apparently have issues with, hunh?) Wow....
    I'm so glad we've all found men who love us and who work with who we are. I love all of your significant others. We are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would just like to point out that this blog is pretty much about me, which makes me awesome!

    And I love Clarissa more than...how did that song go? Oh yeah, I love clarissa more than "silver and gold, silver and gold!"

    Love ya hun! he he... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlqn_Hjyi8

    ReplyDelete