Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School

Yesterday I went back to school--officially. 
The first order of the day was getting the syllabus for the class for which I'm TAing.  Accomplished by 8:15 AM.  Next order: go to freshman history class with a professor to go through the syllabus and answer questions.  Also, explain that neither of us is the instructor.  The instructor will show up on Friday.  All goes well.  Most popular question: You want us to read this extra thing for Wednesday.  By what day are we supposed to read the reading from the textbook written next to Wednesday?  My answer: Both are due on Wednesday.  Outrage and panic abound.
Next order of business: get myself to American Women's History before 1800.  While in class I decide I will love this class and already love my instructor.  I also decide I'm very excited to be a student again.  We read a primary court document from Jamestown in the 1620s.  I get more excited as the document is about crazy colonists determining whether the person in question is male or female.  The story, while disturbing is also rather amusing. 
Next: office hours.  I sit in the office assigned to my prof. for three hours.  It is on a corner in the most poorly designed building ever!  Needless to say, I direct multiple lost students to their classrooms. 
Finally I am released to go to class again--historiography.  Seventeen people in a room designed for twelve.  Close quarters make me hope my prof's promise to find another room was not idle talk.  A mind-numbing two hours spent going over the syllabus passes.  I decide the class will be interesting but be a TON of work. 
Last order of business: get myself to the bus.  Succeed in getting on bus.  Fall asleep on bus.  Get off bus, manage to feed myself, determine sinus problems are due to seasonal allergies.  Decide to take a nap.  Wake up from nap to husband telling me it's 10:45.  Go to bed.

3 comments:

  1. What a day. And since you are a TA, I think you should definitely make TAing a word. and the allergies, yuck, I don't heart that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could you possibly assign your freshman two reading assignments for the same day?! Glad to hear your Women's History class is turning out to be a good thing rather than the not so good thing we feared it might be at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous,
    Who are you? We seem to be friends.

    ReplyDelete