Monday, August 17, 2009

Clarrissa

Are you one of the myriad people blessed with a normal name like Jessica or James? If so, lucky you. While you will spend your entire life whipping around every time you hear your name to discover your all-too-popular name belongs to another person in the room, you may still count yourself among the fortunate because your name is something the average person can handle saying, spelling, remembering, etc.
I cannot count myself among those fortunate many.
Take last Thursday. As I signed my lease papers and other various and sundry documents I thought, "How many times to I have to write my name?!" Rest assured that after ten minutes I was sure I wouldn't forget my name any time soon. My leasing agent perused my documents and then informed Jimmy and I that we would have to put up parking permit stickers in our car windows. No big deal. She handed us our stickers. I looked down at the shiny white paper with the green circle soon to find its way to my rear window on it.
"Clarrissa" was written neatly in the top left corner.
I can't lie, I wanted to rush back in and yell, "Seriously, can't your read?!" or "NO ONE named Clarissa spells her name with two r's!" After all, this woman had been staring at my paperwork for a substantial amount of time. She had managed to fill out my lease correctly--I checked. What blip in her thought process brought her to this gross and monstrous error?!
Now before anyone worries that I'm overreacting (which I am), you may rest assured that I DIDN'T go back into the office and yell. Also, I have decided to forgive her. For most of my life everyone else has made the same error. My elementary school was incapable of keeping it right in their official records. Sunday school teachers, friends' parents, etc., have all gotten it wrong. I have mostly forgiven them. The leasing woman seems like a nice person, so I should probably let it go.
Still, there's a part of me that wonders why my name is particularly difficult. I've only seen one variation of my name, and it was spelled with a "k". I've never seen two "r's". I know my name is uncommon, and I know names are difficult to get right sometimes. i.e. "Sara" and "Sarah". What is it about this variation of Clara (notice the presence of ONE "r") that completely throws people? To those of you out there with rare or unusually spelled names, I feel your pain.

2 comments:

  1. Clearly you are an introvert. This just proves that point. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I understand. Alania, Elaina, Alana, Laina, Elaine, Alayna...but two r's in your name...wierd!

    ReplyDelete