Saturday, July 31, 2010

Let's Hear it for Big Sisters!

Today, as I lugged box after box up the stairs to my new apartment two families parked themselves on the sidewalk I was using and chatted.  Don't get me wrong, they were nice and moved every time I passed.  Anyway, one family had two little girls, I'd guess 5 and 3.  The adorable tow-headed 3-year-old was bouncing around as people that age often do.  Our eyes met, and I smiled.  She said, "Hi!"  I said, "Hi!"  Then she ran ahead to her sister.  Her sister gave me the "I'm not sure about you" look, and grabbed her sister.  Since they live below me, I heard them talking on the stairwell as I hefted another box of books up the stairs.  I smiled a big smile when I heard the big sister rebuking the little sister.  "You don't know her; she's a stranger!" she said.  That's right.  That big sister knew her stuff and was doing her best to make sure her sister stayed safe and wasn't carried off by evil people.  Big sisters may be bossy fun spoilers, but they sometimes they do it because they love you.

2 comments:

  1. Big sisters. Yep- we are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little sisters give big sisters the opportunity to be awesome...just saying.

    ReplyDelete