Thursday, August 5, 2010

A U-Haul, Three Flights of Stairs, and Excessive Road Construction

The above summarize the highlights of last night.  Mr. Wonderful and I moved our furniture into our new apartment.  We started at 4:30 PM in FoCo.  We loaded everything into the U-Haul by ourselves.  Pretty painless since we moved out of the basement.  Then we got in the truck and drove down the familiar highway between our old and new apartments, only last night CDOT decided to add extra road construction.  A 30 minute detour (more like driving in circles) in the town between our two towns made us irritated--but at CDOT and the other people on the road, not each other.  We arrived at the new place.  There were no parking spaces close to our apartment.  Not cool.  Also, it got dark.  Blech.  Then we carried our furniture up three flights of stairs, only the assent wasn't straight up.  It turned 90 degrees every 12 steps or so, yet the landings were exceedingly small and not convenient for turning couches and mattresses.  After an hour, I decided I would only purchase love seats and air mattresses in the future.  So we got it all moved in, mostly because Mr. Wonderful is strong, patient, and forgiving.  (At one point I unintentionally--I promise!--sent a left hook towards his face that sent his glasses flying into the back of the U-Haul.  I was trying to wrestle the blankets covering a piece of furniture into a manageable wad.)  We did not fight--not that we were always happy.  Still, I am proud of us.   (Maybe we could be like TanyaLee and What's-his-name from eHarmony and own a business together.  Wait.  No.  No.  And seriously, what is up with them?!)  So then we started driving back to FoCo to drop off the truck.  The brilliant idea to take the interstate backfired when we hit the parking lot also known as 1-25 under construction.  Add 20 minutes.  We took the first exit we could and drove back roads.  We got to a town.  The main road was under construction.  We spent another 10 minutes trying to find a way out of this little town before succeeding.  Finally, FoCo.  Then we had to drive back to the new place.  Previous ETA for moving completion: 10:30 PM.  Actual TA: 1 AM.  Ugh.  So glad that's done!
P.S. Workout for 8/4/10 = 4 hours of  heavy lifting.  Moving is excellent forearm exercise.

4 comments:

  1. You guys are awesome. Even more awesome because the two of you never fight because neither one of you is very opinionated...

    I'm glad that's done. Now you can never move. UNLESS you get an amazing job where they move you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pivot- PIVOT!! haha, thats for you too Alaina ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it wouldn't let me post as sarah- wierd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not opinionated? Hmmm...perhaps. I think it has more to do with having a husband who doesn't retort when I say stupid, hurtful things. He's much nicer than I am most of the time.

    ReplyDelete