Sunday, August 29, 2010

Surprise!

Look what I got in the mail!

What a wonderful surprise!  

Here's a view of the entire thing held up by Mr. Wonderful because my appendages are too short.  Please note that in my excitement I allowed it to be held up incorrectly.  Drunkard's Path (currently top right) goes in the bottom right corner, so spin this baby 90 degrees, and you'll be looking at it the right way.

This is the back.  The darker green pieces are apliqued onto the lighter green background.  The quilting is super-fun and follows the pattern on the opposite side.

It's based on Eleanor Burn's Underground Railroad quilt book.  Have any of you other people in my life who quilt read it?  From what we know, the stories she tells are more legend than fact, but that doesn't take away from its beautiful craftsmanship and fun back story.

Thank you Mary (and La for collecting my address) for making me feel very loved.  I cannot stop looking at it!

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!! That is super impressive! So much work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really Awesome and Beautiful! Also, I'm sorry you will be super busy:( At the same time its a good busy right? Miss you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'm so glad that you like it! You are fabulous and my Mom thinks so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Wow. Wow. wow! wow! wow! wow!!!! How super cool. I have not read that book, but would like to. You are so lucky! Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool- when my mom & I took a tour of the Jordan House in DM, which was a part of the Underground Railroad, I for the first time saw the quilt patterns on a plaque and what they meant and even though I can't remember all of them, its amazing how people could use an everyday thing like quilting to communicate in that respect.

    ReplyDelete