Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dietary Disaster

Yesterday was not a good food day. 

In the morning I had a meeting at 8 AM in another town at a coffee shop.  I really like coffee, but I don’t drink it often.  I’m strangely affected by caffeine if I drink lattes, and the acidity makes my stomach feel blurghy.  If I eat something before/during, I’m usually okay, but increasingly not even that helps. 
Yesterday, I really wanted a latte, so I decided to go for it.  I also ate a scone.  Let me tell you the scone was NOT good.  It was crumbly/dry and uninspiring.  It also didn’t help my stomach.  I ended up paying for that latte all day with blurghy feelings.

It probably didn’t help that I returned to my new home and immediately received a call that scheduled a meeting about 2 hours later in FoCo.  I rushed out of the house, forgetting to bring a lunch (or even a snack) with me.  Disaster!  Of course, I didn’t have leftovers in the fridge anyway, and living in two homes is not helping my ability to keep combinable foods in a single location.  i.e. If the bread is in one place, the things that go in the middle are in the other.  Ugh.

So I went to my meeting.  Late afternoon arrived.  I realized I was hungry and hadn’t eaten.  I decided to eat, but I needed to do it quickly and return to work.

Here’s the problem; this is what I had to work with. 
1) $2
2) My location in the middle of campus meant the only place open close was the student center fast food.
3) I arrived at said place to discover the only places open were Panda Express and Carl’s Jr.
4) Panda Express has no items under $2.
5) Carl’s Jr. could provide me french fries or a spicy chicken sandwich.

As you can imagine, I was distressed.  Admittedly I was way more excited about the french fries.  However, I couldn’t eat just french fries for dinner.  Remember my tummy was blurghy, and well, that's just a bad idea.  Also, not eating was no longer an option. 

So spicy chicken sandwich it was.  Gross.  Gross, gross, gross.  GROSSSSS.  Besides the fact that this sandwich has no nutritional value, it is full of bad fat and carbs and isn’t really even real food.  Worse, if you’ve ever had one, you know it tastes like pepper.  Not cayenne, paprika, cumin, or chili pepper.  Black pepper.  Don’t get me wrong, I love black pepper (and all other peppers), but if I wanted to experience a straight black pepper flavor, I would eat black peppercorns, not a sandwich.  Why do people eat this sandwich?  Really, the sandwich is full of sodium, but you can’t taste the salt for the pepper, which I find disturbing.  Sometimes I forget just how bad it is, eat one when I'm in a bind, and immediately remember why I hate it.

As you can imagine, my stomach stayed blurghy all day, even after I got home and ate some carrots and real food for supper.  This day's diet is not to be repeated if I can help it.  Blurgh.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yucky! Hate that! I agree though - sandwich = FAIL!

    ReplyDelete