"Newness" meant that it was weird to call Mr. Wonderful "husband." It meant that I had a new last name, and contrary to movies and books and all things girlie, I didn't spend much time fantasizing about being Mrs. "Mr. Wonderful" before we got married. I was not particularly excited to get a new last name. I was okay with my old one. I had mixed feelings about giving it up. So I didn't totally give it up, though it's not my last name anymore.
And while we're on the subject, I NEVER EVER EVER want(ed) to be a Mrs. I don't mean I didn't want to get married. I mean I didn't want to be called Mrs. or Mrs. Wonderful. I don't like the sound of it. I didn't (and still don't) feel like "Mrs." is a part of who I am. (I recognize that this is a social and legal reality. I am a "Mrs." I'm just denying the label's claim over how I think of myself.) I could continue on this rant, but that's not why I am writing, so back to the topic at hand.
Today I was thinking about all of this, and I realized that I am totally okay with my current last name. I am used to it. I think of myself as Clarissa Wonderful now. (I know. I know. I should have thought of a better alias for Mr. Wonderful back when that became his name on this blog, but well, I couldn't have foreseen writing this post back then. I will just go with telling you all that I realize just how conceited Clarissa "Wonderful" sounds.) Somewhere in the last three years I also became okay with calling Mr. Wonderful "husband" instead of "boyfriend."
This makes me smile. No more feeling strange. Instead, I'm happy that I have a husband who loves me and who I love in return.
I'm still NOT okay with Mrs.
![]() |
| I miss every single one of you in this picture (except Mr. Wonderful, of course). I wish we could have some sort of reunion. |
P. S. Randomly, somewhere in the last three years my signature became a glorious mess of hurried scribbles instead of the fabulousness it used to be. I blame it on the new last name. It's just not as easy to make look good as my last one was.


Happy Anniversary! Thanks for letting me be a part of your special day!!! And I am all for a reunion. Q is totally up for Alaska... Just saying. Plus, I like your friends, I spent like what 2 days with them but it was pure fabulousness.Yah, and your MRS. New Name doesn't have the swirls that MISS. UBER INDEPENDENT had, I aqueous with your argument.
ReplyDeleteI totally wish I had been able to be in that picture!!! Happy Anniversary :) Love you guys :)
ReplyDeleteHope you got my anniversary text- i had it written on my calendar ;) Jimmy didn't know who i was- hahaha
ReplyDelete