Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Paper Lady

The location:  King Soopers
The situation:  On the way to pick up some groceries I head towards the veggie section.  A woman who is about 40 years older than me says, "Would you like a free paper?"  Um yes, I do, so I say, "Yes."  Then I notice the clip board.  Oh no....  Yep, I see the paper is the local paper, not a state or national paper.  Of course, she then proceeds to try to sell me the paper--a 23 cent/day deal.  I say I'm really not interested.  I already get a paper.  With disapprovingly pursed lips, she asks which one.  I tell her the Post.  She raises one eyebrow in obvious disdain and says, "That's a state  paper.  Don't you live in L?  This is a local paper.  We have national news, too."  Unconvinced, I tell her it's not in my budget, but that I will "think about it."  And then she gives me a glare that says, "I can't believe your obvious lack of community spirit.  It's rude to take free things and not give anything in return.  Kids these days."  (Well, that's how I interpreted it.)  I thought about giving the paper back.  I kept it.  I also decided that I did not appreciate the condescending way she tried to sell me.   I'm an adult.  Her body language said she didn't believe I was capable of making intelligent decisions.  Really?  I disagree.  And I don't want the local paper.

2 comments:

  1. Well maybe she shouldn't offer a free paper if she wants something in return. Apparently what she meant to say was " I can offer you this free paper if you sign up for purchasing it for a year." Dumb old people....

    And HI and How are you ? Good I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A guy offered me a free paper at Fareway last week. After hearing your story, I'm even more glad I told him no! Never heard of people giving away papers in grocery stores before, and now twice, in one week!

    ReplyDelete