Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Yoga

I have spent the past four months on my butt.  These months have also brought new and added stresses to my life.  Grad school is apparently a time for reading and writing.  I cannot do either one while running, walking, etc. without falling down, running into people and things, and getting motion sick.  However, the increasing size of my stomach, a recognition that I need to find a healthy outlet for stress, and a general feeling that I should get up and walk around or something has prompted me to do something about this. 
The problem is, I hate exercizing.  You know how you get an endorphin rush during/after you work out?  Yeah, I don't get that rush.  So I just feel miserable.  So I don't like to exercize.  I have been looking for something that will help me destress, too. 
Solution: yoga
So I checked out a few places around town and ran into a huge problem.  $$$.  I am not rich.  Yoga seems to be for rich people generally, but costs are astronomical here.  They're more than my rent.  So I gave that idea up. 
But then I remembered that my university has a rec center.  After checking their web site I discovered a marvelous thing--yoga classes at a reasonable rate!  I marched myself to the rec center and signed up. 
Tonight I went to my first yoga class.  Friends, I loved it!  Really.  It is exactly what I need right now.  It's not intense cardio, which is probably what I should be doing, but it's something, and it makes me feel good afterward. Now I just have to stay on top of my work so that I can keep going to yoga. 
My goal is to go 2-3 times a week.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you!!! This sounds like so much fun! I wish I could go to yoga with you! Oh, I friended Adam, Joanna, and many other Russian Studies people....on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. La, I would love to have you at my yoga class! It would be nice to have a friend there. I went again to a more advanced class...I think that I'm going to go to a beginning class and a more advanced class each week. One to learn good technique and basics as well as good relaxation, and the other for the exercise. Today's class was REALLY challenging. My heart rate was up, my muscles were burning, and at the same time, I felt very good about it. Crazy!
    I saw you befriended RSP people, and Adam befriended me, so I befriended them too. It's sort of fun to catch up with them--though I've also decided I am be the big class disappointment. I didn't marry someone from another country, I don't work in another country, my job isn't with a non-profit organization or focused on a minority population, and I do not have my graduate degree yet. Pathetic...

    ReplyDelete