"The women on The Bachelor are starting to drive me nuts! I'm glad that 2 of the 3 who left tonight went home, but there's so much hostility between some of those who are left. I feel bad for Jake that he has to put up with them!"
I said: "He's getting paid a lot of money (and fame) to put up with them. He's getting a lot of action. He's surrounded by beautiful women who will do almost anything to be with him. He gets to choose which one to be with. I am not inclined to feel sorry for him. ;-)"
She said: "Totally understandable. I guess its just their attitudes that get to me. Those who are there to play games and being stupid make me want to drag them out by their hair. He deserves better than that."
Seriously!?!? This Jake guy was probably familiar with the show before he signed on. The show has never been about love between mature adults. It has always been about playing games and melodrama. That's why it's so popular. Luckily, this is a stupid facebook conversation. Since I cannot respond without being insulting or condescending, I am not responding to her. I am venting here. This is going to save more than one friendship.
Dramatic? Yes. But friends, what do you do when you're super-good friends with someone, but you find a civil relationship with his significant other hard to navigate? Not that this person is a horrible person. We can get along, but I'm quite sure I'm doing most of the compromising because I want to remain friends with my good friend. Most of the compromises involve me holding my tongue because sarcasm and/or disagreeing on any level are not an option with this woman.
*Disclaimer: I have not watched the Bachelor at ALL this season (or any other TV show). I have no idea what's going on with Jake and his women. If you feel I am too harsh on the show, I am up for a discussion on the redeeming qualites of Jake, the women, or the Bachelor in general.
Ha. You know how I feel about this. Speak the truth. I had/have some upset friends because I gave my opinion. It may be different than yours. Grow up, ya know. I am a yuppie watching the show, and I to feel bad for Jake. It's ok if you think I'm retarded. ;) Wait, can we still be friends if we disagree? I guess soo.......
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely we can be friends. :-) I think the problem is that I am okay with disagreeing...but she's really not okay with it. Disagreement equals instant meltdown. Fortunately this isn't someone I see very often.
ReplyDeleteWell, on the subject of trying to remain friends with someone when you're not sure about their significant other...tricky. Because if you say one bad thing, and your friend believes the significant other, you have a MAJOR problem on your hands. So it probably is best to just shut up and smile if the person is not a truly good friend.
ReplyDeleteBut in my mind, if you are really close with someone and you love them you tell the truth even when it hurts. But not your non-really friends, you know?
I honestly think this is why you and I are still friends...because we've had it out. A lot. And it is real...and that is good.
Logical? Maybe...I think so!
Thank you ladies for talking me down from unresonability and back into love and accountability.
ReplyDelete"Disagreement equals instant meltdown." Were you talking about my mother? ;)
ReplyDelete