After reflecting on my previous post, I have decided that 1) I should not use my blog to vent about relationships and 2) that post was only kind of about the Bachelor. Don’t get me wrong. I still don’t like the show, and I remain convinced that the people on the show aren’t motivated solely out of a desire to find lasting love. However, I watched a clip of Jake with one of the women who left last week yesterday…and I felt a little bad for him. Granted, he got himself into this mess, but she was a complete nutcase. I wouldn’t want to put up with her either.
So, yes, the woman has a point. And I also see that that post was not about the Bachelor at its heart. In fact, I don’t care whether people like or don’t like the show. I don’t really like reality TV, but still, I am addicted to Lost. It's not like it's particularly cerebral or edifyig. We all do things and watch things that others don’t like or find silly. I do have pretty strong opinions on several shows out there (good and bad), but really, there was no reason for me to be so frustrated by my “Bachelor” conversation.
So maybe that conversation was about being frustrated with a woman who is rather socially awkward. The conversation meant nothing in and of itself. However, it was part of a larger situation that has bubbled quietly under the surface for several years until now. I think it became apparent to me just how frustrated I was with trying to understand this person during the conversation. Still, why the heck did it bother me so much? Why THAT conversation? I’m not going to say that I didn’t have a right to be annoyed, but I should have stepped back and taken a deep breath. It really wasn’t a big deal.
Most likely, the conversation stemmed from my need to be ‘right.’ A week ago I was talking with a good friend about how hard it is to realize that your opinion is not the only opinion. In fact, it’s not the only RIGHT opinion. That is a hard pill to swallow. You see, I think that I would do a great job running the world. I would be more than happy to tell people what to do, control who was allowed to procreate, etc. Granted, this is absurd. Still, I think most of us feel this way at some point. I tend to feel this way a lot. It’s not that I’m always conscious of it, but I am also rarely conscious that my opinion on ____ is not shared by the entire human population. In honor of recognizing that I am a self-absorbed jerk, I am attempting to change my attitude and be more conscientiously aware that other people can have valid opinions. I’m not saying I’m going to succeed, but I am going to try.
No comments:
Post a Comment