Monday, January 18, 2010

New Responsibilities

I met the new professor I will be working with this semester.  He is awesome.  As in, he is night and day different from my experience last semester already. 
He asked me what my goals for this semester were.  Goals?  How about passing all of my classes and not doing anything to make him angry with me?  Those sound like reasonable goals, right?  Really, my problem is that last semester I literally did everything except lecture (except that's not true because I led class at least once in the prof's absence).  So finding something that I genuinely want to learn to do or something new to be involved in is a bit of a challenge.  I learned all of this just a few months ago in a do-or-die sort of situation.  However, trying to be a professional, I told him I wanted to learn from him as a lecturer and be as involved as possible in teaching the class, including lecturing.  This is, after all, is exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life: teach college-level history.  He seemed cool with the idea.  He even told me that to get me more involved, he'd like me to help him write tests, give announcements, administer the online class page, and be an available resource for students.  I had to fight back a smile; he thought he was really giving me a lot of responsibility.  He actually said that he was ASKING and not REQUIRING me to do all of this stuff.  Little did he know that his requests and requirements for me are significantly less than those of my previous professor. 
Reduced duties for the semester:
1) I do not have to escort this prof. to and from class. 
2) I do not have to stand up front and help this prof. by finding his spot in lecture, putting up overheads, listening to students' questions and repeating them back to the prof. because he can't hear/understand them. 
3) I do not have to write, copy, and distrubute this prof.'s tests on my own/unsupervised.
4) I do not have to grade 100+ tests/essays per class assignment.  I will only grade half (60), and I will not have to worry that this prof. is giving out unreasonably low grades that he will bump up more than a letter grade if challenged.  Integrity is a good quality.
5) I do not have to answer this prof.'s emails for him. 
6) I do not have to act as a liason between this prof. and the departmet secretaries, head of the department, other college departments and offices, and students.
7) I do not have to make sure that this prof. is doing his job and do not have to relay reminders to do his job to him from his superiors.
8) I do not have to "figure things out" because this prof. knows how to use the technology he employs in his class.
9) I do not have to be the final authority on grades.  This prof. will not defer to my judgement when his grading is disputed by students.  He will not purposely avoid scheduled appointments with students in an attempt to get me to deal with them. 
10) I do not have to listen to this prof. tell me that President Obama wants him dead or any other conspiracy theories. 

So to summarize, this professor is competent and reasonable.  Also, there will be an undergraduate assisting with the class who I know is very competent.  Seriously, THANK GOD! 

No comments:

Post a Comment