Friday, January 22, 2010

Slacker?

Sitting in environmental history on the first day of class, the girl to my left turned to me and said, "Can you believe how many books we have to read for this class?!" 
In my head I thought, "There are only five, and they're short. You should try grad school.  I purchased 12 for 1 class, and that's not all of the reading I have to do for that class." 
But trying not to be a complete jerk I mumbled my way through something remotely sympathetic, and finally ended up saying something like, "Well, it's an upper division history course, and when you get your books you'll notice most of them are pretty short, like less than 100 pages."
Not to be placated, the girl informed me that she was a junior and had NEVER had to read five books for a class.  WHAT!?! 
I immediately asked her what her major was: communications.  (I admit my first instinct was scorn.  It was.)  I asked her why she'd decided to enroll in an upper division history class when a 100-level class would have satisfied her gen ed requirements.  I was NOT trying to imply she shouldn't be in the class.  I was actually trying to find out what she was interested in.  However, she told me that this was just what 'fit' and that she hates history.  She's also taking five other challenging classes.  I hope she doesn't die.  This class isn't going to be heavy on reading, but really, she could have taken an easier class.  My department offers at least 20 different 100-level classes at all times of the week and day. 
However, as I began thinking about it, I remembered that I thought five books was a lot as an undergrad.  And this made me think that the last semester has completely changed my perspective on what is 'reasonable' when it comes to reading and homework.  So yeah, I'm cutting the girl some slack.  Five books (even short ones) is a lot when you're taking 6 classes and none of them is considered a slacker class.  Personally, I'm thankful that I'm only doing 3 1/2 classes and a TAship.  It's almost more than I can handle.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, slacker girl! She picked the WRONG girl to bark up eh. See Clarissa, you have this cute girl look about you. You have that girl next door appeal, and then you open your mouth and sound intelligent. This is a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has nothing to do with your post but I finally managed to scan that pic onto the computer so somehow i should send it to you.... it is a strange shape though so I dont know how it will print out :)

    ReplyDelete