Today I missed my friend Laura. I really missed her. I don’t really know why I felt this way today as opposed to the myriad days we’ve spent apart, maybe it was because my eyes glanced on the gift she sent me this morning. Whatever it was, it made me remember that sometimes you don’t have to constantly be near to someone to love them dearly. Sometimes a single, powerful experience can forever bring two very different people together in a friendship and understanding that will remain even when you aren’t able to be an everyday presence in each other’s lives. Don’t get me wrong; I wish we didn’t live so far apart. Still, it’s nice to know there is someone out there who loves you that you see about once a year and has no intention of discontinuing your friendship for geographical reasons. A semester in Russia five years ago was enough to create this friendship. I feel blessed.
Probably because I was feeling nostalgic today, I reread a story I wrote about leaving Russia. Laura was there that day. I’m glad I didn’t have to go through that alone. I decided to post it here. Read it if you’re interested. (I think a few of you are already familiar with it.) Goodbye Nizhni
Oh, sweetest post ever! You are such a great friend and I cherish all our moments together, especially those moments in Russia. I remember when YOU were called out to be my roomie, "Ha. Oh great." You were so much more perfect for me than I could EVER have imagined!
ReplyDeletei remember that story- and good thing i have your autograph ;)
ReplyDelete