Dear friends,
Did you know that the Library of Congress has the best website ever? Because if you didn't, you really need to check it out. In the American Memory section, the American Folklife Center has some really, really fabulous recordings mostly collected during the Great Depression. Some are funny songs like this. Or sacred songs and work songs like this sung by former slave, Lizzie Hill. There are even songs in Spanish!
Some recordings are not songs, but are...this.
While I'm a huge fan of the Folklife Center, the LoC homepage is pretty great. Have you ever checked out the cool collections of old sheet music in the "American Memory" collection or browsed through the FSA Depression photos in "Prints & Photographs"? There are newspaper collections, films, the collected papers of people like former Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun, and many, many more cool things.
People, use the resources your tax dollars are paying for and educate yourselves on American history and pop culture!

Thanks for posting this. I had never really looked at the site before. I've become obsessed with all the maps (I know...I'm a loser) :).
ReplyDelete