Saturday, April 16, 2011

Writing

I have horrible writer's block.  I cannot write my thesis.  Well, I can, but it is coming out slowly.  Every word is a fight.  Every paper I've written for the last year has been a fight.  I sort of hate writing right now.  This is frustrating.  I conferenced with my advisor.  She gave me some tips.  I'm trying to implement them.  We'll see.  She's pretty much amazing, and I pretty much don't ever want to fail her.  I'm also pretty sure she thinks I'm a neurotic crazy person.  She has yet to confirm that bit.

So here's the deal: I need to write my thesis and get over this frustrating writer's block.  Not only do I want to graduate, but well, I just got a job in which I will do a whole bunch of writing.  A whole bunch as in, most likely, a book.  So I need my writing groove back so I can do that job and not hate life.

In fact, there may be more writing in my future as my advisor suggested that we should write an article together this coming year.  I think it would be fun and a really good career move, obviously.  But I need to get over being unable to write my thoughts down in a method more sophisticated than facebook before embarking on such an endeavor.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. No brilliant ideas from me, but I will tell you I care and will be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been out of the academic writing realm so long it's scary. so now, i pretty much write whenever the mood strikes. i know it's pretty hard to do that when you have to write something important, and write it well, at that. but maybe just take a small break, clear your head, go on a walk/get ice cream and watch a stupid movie that makes you feel smart. and then, maybe, you'll be ready to write again. distance yourself from the problem and then you will find your solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, once you graduate the writing mojo will probably come back. Mine did.

    It was like my body knew and then was like - okay, let's do this again!

    It was frustrating. I bet it is the same deal.

    I don't have any words of wisdom.

    Except this: small, small goals. Small ones. That's what helped me survive the last 6 months of seminary. I would write a paragraph, do something else, and again and again and again. It was crazy, but it did help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure that my stimulating conversation at the soccer game helped. ;) In truth I hope that it passes and you can just whip it out. In once night. Done. And then can I read it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contradiction...writing about not being able to write :).

    Congratulations on the amazing job opportunities!!!

    ReplyDelete