Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hello Raleigh!

This Monday, I purchased a bicycle. I've been in need of/wanting one for a good 3 years, and I finally found one that fit me, worked, and could be afforded. Woohoo!

I need more movement in my life, and I needed a better way to commute the one-and-a-half-ish miles to work than walking (takes way too long) or driving (costs too much/can't park anywhere close to my work buildings).

More seriously, I've been looking for a visible way to be a better Coloradoan. There are so many strikes against me. I do not own any of the following.

-a Subaru (or an SUV more generally)
-a dog
-skis or a snowboard
-a kayak
-Keens/Toms/Chacos
-hiking boots
-specially formulated high-performance wool socks
-specialized, name-brand outdoor activity clothing in tan, gray, black, or dark colors purchased at REI, Jax, or other sporting goods stores, in general
-a Camelbak backpack
-backwoods camping gear
-a home brewing setup
-a McMansion precariously perched on the side of a mountain or plunked down in a housing development surrounded by corn and wheat fields that, until five years ago, was a field
-a ranch or farm

To be a good Coloradoan you should have at least 7 of these things.

The list of possessions in my favor is much shorter.

a ski coat with removable fleece jacket
a garden (rather than a CSA membership)
a guitar

Before I purchased my bicycle, the first list had yet another item in it, and I was truly a Midwesterner posing as a Coloradoan. Well, this bike upped my Coloradoan cred significantly - at least with the hipsters and Tour de Fat crowd. It is a lovely vintage step through Raleigh Sprite cruiser. I think it's older than me - probably a decade older. The only strikes against my cred this bike brings are that it has a new seat and was in excellent working order when I got it, so I don't get fixer-upper points. Bummer.

Maybe someday I'll get this state's uniform and portfolio of possessions pieced together. Maybe someday the cool kids will let me play with them at recess.

:)
Did you know my bicycle was born in England?

P.S. The preceding list was, of course, written somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Still, for those of you who think I made it all up, the uniform/portfolio is real. Come observe. You will find that I am making a credible report of the situation on the ground.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess that makes me "one of them." Whatever. BUT, you can play with me at recess. For reals. AND, your bike is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me play with you at recess, Coloradoan. :)

      Delete