Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Welcome Winter

No snow at my house yet, friends, but my husband reports that it's getting closer to our hose as I type this.  It poured rain for most of today--cold, wet, windy, end of fall rain that makes you want to drink gallons of hot tea and read good books.  In lieu of good books, it's homework for me.  (Pornography law/lack thereof, to be exact.)  Also, I furthered my research project by looking through old Catholic newspapers from Denver's early years online.  Very interesting!  Then I made peach crisp, ate leftover tom yum kai (the best soup EVER) while the chilies in it burned my mouth in the most delightful way, and decided on a hearty Hungarian goulash for supper--mother-in-law's if she calls me back with the recipe in the next few hours, my mom's tried-and-true if not.  Seriously, I need to get back into the soup habit I developed in Russia.  Soup keeps you warm, costs less, tastes so good, and occasionally is good for you.  I wish I had written down my host mother's recipe for mushroom soup.  Also, borsch is soup-my favorite one except tom yum kai.  But really, I would even settle for that strange dill pickle soup that we were served in our dorm.  Mmmmm...soup.

3 comments:

  1. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hungarian-Mushroom-Soup/Detail.aspx

    http://www.food.com/recipe/hungarian-mushroom-soup-from-the-moosewood-cookbook-135215

    Two very similar recipes, for an awesome soup. Very similar to the Taste Buds cafe version. I make it when I want creamy comfort soup with some kick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, no. Dill pickle soup (Sol'yanka) still isn't good. Pickles don't belong in soup. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends quote worthy "mmm soup. i mean noodle soup! i mean soup!" -joey on one of his auditions

    because i just had to.

    ReplyDelete