Thursday, April 22, 2010

Coconut Milk

I am making some delicious curry courtesy of Madhur Jaffrey tonight--a new recipe called "Chicken with Roasted Coriander in a Coconut Curry Sauce."  I'm sure it's going to be delicious.  Unfortunately I can't find the camera, so no pics.  I have recently decided I like coconut milk flavor, even in savory things as long as it's not sweetened.  If it's too sweet, I feel like I'm eating dessert.  I prefer salt in almost every circumstance. 
Anyway, I looked at the nutrition information and discovered that I will not be making curry with coconut milk very often.  A 1/3 cup serving has 25%+ of the daily saturated fat allowance!!!  I might as well eat cream!  (Not that I would mind that....) I guess I might have to try the "lite" version of coconut milk I scorned during my last trip to the store, as long as my detective work doesn't turn up nasty preservatives or fake additives used in "lite" coconut milk.  If that's the case, it's full fat ahead for now.

2 comments:

  1. This is the TASTIEST stuff ever but BEWARE the calories run rampant in this liquid gold. Super yum. Have you read the count of monte cristo? Yup, I think Coconut Milk would have been stashed away on that island!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously - don't go with lite. I looked up the information on why it is 'lite'. Bad idea. Coconut milk is good fat - so just stick with it. If you want to know about the bad lite I can tell you, but seriously, you might now want to know!

    ReplyDelete