Monday, March 29, 2010

Moscow Bombings

Six years ago while I was in Russia the Moscow subways were bombed.  I was safe in Nizhni Novgorod.  About forty Russians were not that lucky.  It seems rebel terrorists are at it again--probably from Chechnya, though no one has claimed responsibility for this set of bombings.  Click here for the story.  I think one of the most important things I learned while I was in Russia was that Chechnya is "complicated."  Western media doesn't give much air time to the story with all the other problems in Southwest and Central Asia, and none of them give context.  Still, if you think about it, please pray for the resolution of conflict between Chechnya and Russia.  It seems impossible, right?  A group that's been asserting its independence since the Soviet Union's collapse versus a government desperately trying to hold onto its 'rightful' territory.  Abuses on both sides are egregious.  Sickening. Chechnya is in shambles. Still, we can hope and pray.  (Threatening sanctions certainly doesn't work.)

1 comment:

  1. I remember that. I think our hearts will forever be bound to Russia.

    ReplyDelete