Sunday, June 28, 2009

Westward Ho!

So husband and I took a road trip to find a new home. While on the trip, I took along Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel. I loved reading about ladies' experiences on the same terrain I was driving. (7 hours in NE gives one lots time to ruminate about those poor women's travels and trials.) When we arrived in Ft. Collins I 1) thought it was beautiful, 2) was glad to be rid of the Midwest's humidity, and 3) decided that that was the point in the journey where in the 19th century I would have told my husband I refused to go any farther west in an oxen-pulled wagon. I am not going over the mountains in any sort of animal-pulled wagon ever. All this to say, I was both amazed and horrified by these women, their families, and the things they endured in the hope of finding a better financial/living situation. It makes me being disappointed in my new, mediocre apartment as a college student seem a bit pathetic, really. Still, while I don't love it, I am glad we can check "apartment to live in while in FC" off our list of things to accomplish in the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment