Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A suggestion

I really enjoy visiting the National Archives in Denver.  I also really enjoy the random, funny things I find while looking through very straightforward administrative National Park Service files.

For your reading pleasure, a visitor suggestion for an enhanced experience at Zion National Park:

I read this and immediately laughed out loud in the midst of the quiet reading room full of researchers.  Do you blame me? Can you imagine Rocky Mountain National Park piping "The Solid Rock" (On Christ the solid rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand....) all along Trail Ridge Road?  Bwahahaha!  Also, "Rock of Ages"?  Really?  Except for the first three words, I'm not sure the song's lyrics really lend themselves to Zion's canyon walls.  And while I DO like it, it's not exactly a song for which I would call up the phrase "GRANDEUR" of nature in my mind's eye.  So, 1) Who thinks of piping music through a MASSIVE canyon for motorists to enjoy over the noise of their motors?  2) Why that song?  3)  The electric cables required to run loudspeakers would make for some ugly scenery. 4) How annoying would it be to listen to conflicting echoes of any one song reverberating through a canyon?!  Zion Canyon is HUGE - as in long and wide. Multiple speakers and multiple locations haven't got a chance against the canyon's size and resulting delays caused by the speed at which sound travels.  It's as irritating as live noise against the delay of a slow PA system, I'm sure.

I don't think Mr. Broom gave adequate consideration to the logistics of his divinely-inspired idea.  You?

I would probably have written to Mr. Broom to tell him that it was a really bad idea.

Here is the much more politely worded response from Zion to Mr. Broom.


You can always go read this for yourself in Records Group 79 at the National Archives branch in Denver.  8NS-079-95-040, NPS: Southwest Regional Office , Administrative Files, 1962-1964, Box 45, Zion folder
They are open M-F 7:30-3:45 and are helpful and nice.

2 comments: