I have a bi-weekly cooking date with my friend, Allison. She lives alone, and I live with a husband who doesn't really care about the millions of culinary experiences to be had. We both like cooking, eating, and spending time together. (We also enjoy history, sensational Victorian literature, and travelling.) Obviously, our friendship is a match made in heaven.
As my ETD to Colorado looms closer and closer on the horizon, I have felt more and more pressed to spend time with my friends, and at the same time, I've been freaking out that I'm stretched too far and will never get my house packed. I was feeling just this way yesterday up until the moment I arrived at Allison's house, but when I walked through the door, all of that stress fell away. The familiar routine of reading recipes, chopping vegetables, browning meat, catching up on what's been happening in our lives, and sampling the contents of the pot are the best therapy I could ask for. This therapy will be sorely missed.
We spend most of our energy on curries, but recently we've been trying Greek food. Last night we made chicken in a walnut yogurt sauce. It was DELICIOUS, and we'd tried it out of curiosity. It's definately one of the least normal recipes we've tried, and it was by far one of the quickest and easiest! What a find!
I'm both looking forward to and dreading our last cooking date in two weeks. Just thinking about it being our last time to cook together for a while makes me want to burst into tears, and in accordance, the pressure of deciding what we'll eat is almost too much for me. At the same time, it will be one of the best parts of my last week in Iowa. I will be sorely in need of one-on-one Allie time at that point. If only I could take her with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment