Monday, February 9, 2009

You know it's been too long when...

people you work with start asking you to write letters of recommendation for their grad school apps. Yeah, that's when it hit me several months back that I had been where I am for a bit too long.
It's a strange dichotomy. On one hand, I'm flattered that people think I can get them into school and that my ever-so-humble opinion matters. On the other hand, WHAT THE HECK?!? I am not old enough or experienced enough to be doing that sort of thing, right? Apparently, I am old enough and experienced enough.
I have to say that overall the experience left me feeling washed up. I've been saying I'll go to school for four years, but I never apply. LHF is comfortable. I know it. I have friends there. I don't want to face the possibility of failing in a larger world, but if I stay here, I'll only feel more washed up. I know I can do more than LHF and that it's not a job I really love anymore.
Still...I remember the people in their late twenties who worked at LHF when I started. I looked up to them, but I didn't really expect to be one of them. I knew they weren't thrilled with the idea of staying at LHF much longer. It's that sort of place--the kind where you go to get a good start but that you'd feel awful for staying at too long because staying there means you're settling.
I walked into work last spring and said, I'm done here. I am. I'm done settling.

No comments:

Post a Comment