I have a "youthful" face. As a result, I have spent the majority of my time at work in September fielding questions about why I'm not in school over the last few years. Luckily, as I am closer to thirty than twenty, these comments--barring a month ago when a man's first words to me were, "You look like you're about 13!" have become less and less frequent.
Instead, my work with grade school kids is giving me a dose of age's flip side. Take this incident for example:
After a day of talking to children with my equally "youthful" assistant a week ago, I received a call from a coworker. He explained that in his attempt to teach a group of seventh graders by making connections he'd asked them if they had visited the TH. They said they had. He asked, "Did you talk with two girls there?" "No," they replied. At this point, his mind began to race to thoughts of an abandoned house and possible staffing problems. So he asked, "Did you talk to anyone while you were there?!" "Oh yes," they said. "We talked to two ladies, but there weren't any girls."
No comments:
Post a Comment